Wednesday, October 16, 2013

CF Multiply: Question of the Week



Question of the Week: Week 1

Why CrossFit?  How did you hear about it?  What made you join?  What keeps you coming back?  How do you get through a workout?
Yes, technically that's 5 questions.  Feel free to answer any or all.  Just click on the word "comment" at the bottom of this post.
I came across this article online, who can relate? 


 
As of this week, I am now into my third week of CrossFit. This is my first full week of regular classes after graduating the introductory On-Ramp classes. In my short time at CrossFit, I have noticed a definite trend in my emotions. I call it the Five Emotional Stages of CrossFit:

1. Fear and Dread:
This is how I feel when I read about the upcoming WOD on my box's facebook page  I often worry think about the WOD for up to eight hours before actually doing it. This is kind of absurd considering the WOD itself only lasts between 7-20 minutes. This is where I have to learn to fight my brain and push past the negative thoughts that tell me I'd rather go home and watch prime time television (or sleep in). Of course it is going to be hard. It is supposed to be hard. That is kind of the point.


2. Acceptance:
Once I arrive at The Box I instantly feel better. Everyone is very friendly and supportive. It is probably the least intimidating gym environment I have ever been in, as far as the other athletes personalities are concerned. There are more than enough people around willing to help build you up, to give you pointers and the confidence you need to get through it. I even start to get this false hope that it won't be that bad.


3. Pain & Suffering:
This is how I frequently feel during the WOD. I sometimes actually worry that I might die (or puke). At times I have seriously contemplated throwing down the barbell and running out the back door in tears to never return again (I would never actually do that). I feel pain. I am suffering. I am making faces that would scare small children (no one take my picture please). I am paying someone money to feel this kind of pain? What is wrong with me? I remind myself this is all making me stronger. I am doing this on purpose.


4. Total Elation:
Immediately following the 7-20 minutes of pure hell, I feel a top-of-the-world elation that is hard to describe. It is kind of like a runners high, but better. I may be laid out on the floor while I am feeling this, but even if I finished in very last place, I pretty much feel like a total bad-ass. These are probably some of the happiest minutes of my day.


5. Excitement:
This is the part when I go home and all I can talk about (to my poor hubby and anyone else who will pretend to listen) is CrossFit. I rehash every miserable minute with such enthusiasm, one might think I was crazy. Wait, I'm confused, it sucked? So why are you so happy? I am very excited at this point to face the next challenge. I imagine my future-self doing unassisted pull-ups, handstand push-ups, and back squatting my own body weight! I can't wait for the next class...until the next day's WOD is posted on their facebook page.

Then I repeat the cycle...

8 comments:

  1. I have always been an athlete and CrossFit has been an easy transition from competitive sports coupled with the intensity and camaraderie of the U.S. Marshals Service that I loved for 28 years. I enjoy the positive impact CrossFit has on all especially seeing athletes push themselves harder than they ever thought ... from the beginning athlete who feels victory with that first rope climb to the seasoned athlete pushing to get that one rep max PR! - Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY relate to the "five stages"! I heard about CrossFit from Steve and Lori, and was talked into doing it by them, my father, and all the other CrossFit addicts I've been fortunate to meet. What keeps me coming back? My total love for CrossFit, the people there, the excited feeling I get in the ten second count down before the WOD, the amazingly satisfied feeling I get after a WOD, and the fact that I have never been so fit in my entire life and it's only going to get better! And honestly, during the workout I keep myself going by telling myself things like, "Toughen up", "Think about those jeans!", "You better hurry up. You are NOT getting last," or "I've never felt so happy, loved, or healthy in my entire life." I love CrossFit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That article is spot on!! I heard about CrossFit from a couple of blogs I really like. Then my mom told me that my super-in-shape aunt did CrossFit. So, I called my aunt up and asked her if she thought I should do it and she said "Absolutely!". I researched some boxes, found CrossFit Multiply, and the rest is history! I love it because you get to know the people so you're a lot less likely to miss class. I also love that it's so "hard-core" but anyone can do it. There are always people to encourage you and help you get better. At first I was always afraid that I wouldn't be able to finish the WOD. But now that I've been coming for a while I have a lot more confidence that I can get through it. It's really fun to keep coming back and see how much progress I've made since I started. Whenever it gets really hard I say to myself, "With God all things are possible!" and then I use my legs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter, Katelyn, pestered me non-stop, every day to join until I finally signed up. I keep coming back because I'm already sore, so I want to just keep pushing through until things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband, Ken, started doing CrossFit with some guys at work (Army National Guard), and then I heard about it some more from Steve and Lori. I was extremely hesitant at first, but I do enjoy it now. Since I can't run really long distances anymore, CrossFit has helped fill in the gap of getting me out the door to exercise again. And because of CrossFit, my legs are stronger to protect my one knee, and it has enabled me to at least participate in a few 5K's. Thank you to CrossFit! I also enjoy the fellowship and seeing friends that I normally wouldn't get to see at all during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son Travis has been with Steve and Lori since he was 11 years old doing crossfit. I've seen what a positive and challenging outlet it is! I've always worked out but never like this. It's always been just me so it was easy to quit and make excuses. Now, it's like it's a whole new world of strength and endurance that I get to be apart of!! It's just exciting to have the guidance and correction of the trainers and encouragement of everyone at CFM. How do I get through the work outs?, plain and simple, enthusiasm from the others, and I say a prayer before I work out.
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like my first post didn't stick. I can relate to the article. I get a little nervous wondering if I can handle it or not. I of course always feel so much better after its all over. I had heard about crossfit years ago from an old friend but never tried it until Steve and Lori from Crossfit Multiply invited me to another box. -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to the stages in this article! I dread the mornings I have crossfit yet I am excited and ready to go. I see the WOD and get frustrated and always feel like I will never finish it. But I always do with the encouragement of the coaches and fellow crossfitters. I learned about crossfit through Steve and Lori Lane. I would see posts online about crossfit and I never understood all of the numbers and acronyms...now I do. :)

    ReplyDelete

NutriFit Participants: If you don't have an account with any of the forms listed, please click on "Name/URL" and add your name there.